Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sewing, and other ways to keep one busy

My little sister (who is practically a quarter-century old, but will always be my little sister) came to visit two weeks ago. She's the first family member to visit us and I think we had a fun time. I think one of the coolest things she saw was the Mississippi. Most of us from the west don't think of the Mississippi being so far up north - though of course it has to come from somewhere.

There are lots of things to see and do here, but we mostly sat around chatting and hanging out. We did get over to the Teasource a couple times and we went to Minnehaha Falls.

The week before my sister came I was busy making her a quilt which I had almost finished by the day she arrived. Here she is holding it up, and then there is a crazy shot showing the pumpkin-orange backing.





That week, while busy sewing, I also wrote an article for the local paper! I'd been chatting with them for about a week and the editor finally got back to me saying, "If you can get us an article today, we'll get it in the paper." It's not bad considering I had about 12 hours to do it in. Sounds like a lot when I say it like that, but I did get two interviews for the article. Anyway, here it is online. In the print edition it's on the front page!

2 comments:

Jed Carosaari said...

Congratulations on the article!

I saw the Mississippi too, coming from Iowa to Wisconsin. It's very...small.

Aimee said...

Yeah, I think I went over it in Iowa when I was down there this summer.

I remember thinking it was very strange that the same river was so placid and smooth and non-troublesome up here in Minneapolis - and down in Iowa it was wreaking havoc and flooding most of the state. Crazy.