Friday, April 17, 2009

Murder most...fowl

Not really murder, but today Fluffycheeks met his end. We had to send him to rooster heaven before the move to the new house. The new neighbors are not keen on roosters - and Fluffycheeks was really keen on crowing at 3:00 in the morning.

We got some advice from old friend Carla Emery and Jeremy got everything ready. I went down to the basement and opened the brooder and Fluffy jumped right out - just like he does every time. I picked him up and carried him outside.

The end was pretty quick and he didn't squawk or crow or make any noise really. I think his last moments were relatively peaceful.

This was definitely an experiment for us since we've been planning on these being meat birds (as well as egg layers). There's an incredible sense that you've done something irrevocable. We both feel that Fluffycheeks had a good life, he was a sweet rooster, and he's going on to another purpose.

So long Fluffycheeks!

7 comments:

Jed Carosaari said...

May God have mercy upon him.

May God comfort you.

May God give Jeremy sweet rest.


What did you use- wring to the neck or chopping block?

Aimee said...

Thanks Jedidiah. Sometimes I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole thing. But it wasn't an awful experience at all - which is what I had expected.

We used a stump and an axe. The neck wringing just sounded to awful and noisy and gross.

Jed Carosaari said...

So did he continue to move after he lost his head?

Mom said...

more important, what did he become? Stewed chicken with biscuts and gravy? Or just fodder for the freezer? Do you remember Grandma and Granpa writing the names of their animals on the freezer packages? Like "Bunny" (beef cow). I don't recommend that. Well, it is always hard the first time, but it is easier when you understand this is just the cycle of life.

Aimee said...

Yes, he certainly kept moving! It's a bizarre thing, watching this rooster run in place (instead of around the yard, because Jeremy held onto him). Very bizarre.

He became freezer fodder, for now. Jeremy has a plan for a special meal with him, but I'm not sure when. I don't remember G&G writing the names of the animals on the baggies, but I do remember them naming the animals. And - we did write fluffycheeks on the baggies in the freezer. =)

Jed Carosaari said...

I *so* would have dug video of that. Maybe next time?

Aimee said...

Nope. I don't think I could video tape that. Gross!! Well, not gross, but... gross. =)