Sunday, February 13, 2011

The dangers of snow

Because we have a metal roof, the snow doesn't slowly melt off - it all slides off in great house-shaking chunks. We thought this was fun, last year, but it can be a little destructive too.

Most of our berry cages look like this. Just fine, though buried under almost 3 feet of snow.



And then there is this poor cage, which lives just under the sewing room roof, where all the snow from the second story and the sewing room roof falls off. I hope the plant underneath is okay!




2 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

I would love a metal roof on my barn as I have the roofer here every year to fix some shingles. But I could just see all that snow falling off on the unsuspected horse.

Aimee said...

Oh yeah, that could probably really hurt a horse!
The snow was falling off the roof all night and I jumped every time. It was like a car slamming into the house every 10 or 15 minutes! But I think it's all off now. I guess if you have a roof rake and can help the snow off it might not be a big deal.