Friday, February 3, 2012

Blogging hiatus - coming to an end?

After being a rabid (er...regular?) blogger for so long, it's hard to believe I haven't posted much of anything in four months! We've done a few things to the computer, but it hasn't helped enormously. I did switch from IE to Chrome, and wow! It is a lot faster. So I'm hoping to get back into blog land again.

I had a spare moment the other day to catch up on my blog reading - I was only about 160 posts behind amongst the nearly 40 blogs I keep an eye on. Yikes! Luckily most of them aren't posting much either. =) But you know how it is when you follow a blog and they post regularly...you start to feel like you're part of their community, you know them, and if you keep a blog maybe they know you! This feeling is increased when the people you follow are also following and commenting on each others' blogs! Aw, we're like one big happy family. =) (Except I feel like I'm letting my family down by not posting!)

My only resolution this year is to get a cat (none of that 'lose weight' or 'make myself a better person' crap!). But now I'm thinking I need to add something like 'organize my time better so I can blog regularly again.' Actually, I think just "organize my time better" would do it. There is so much I want to do! And I feel like I'm only getting a quarter of it done.  Mama Pea wrote about that just the other day, something about life intervening...in life I guess.

I'll give myself (or ourselves) more credit: though it seems like the end of each day leaves us with the same to-do list, or even a longer to-do list, we've actually accomplished a lot in the four months or so that I haven't been blogging.

We got our new baby chicks; Jeremy built a second chicken coop (the "annex"); Jeremy covered most of the run so the girls (and boys) could enjoy the run even during the winter; we put in some nice supports for the raspberries in the front; Jeremy made two batches of hard cider; we expanded the operation at the mushroom farm; I was in five big art/craft shows; Jeremy converted the root cellar into a walk in cooler; I helped get our neighborhood local business directory finally printed (and partly distributed - still working on that); we dealt with a sick chicken for weeks on end; we got bee boxes for Christmas and Jeremy has been putting those together; we nabbed some cool old cupboards off Craigslist and have been installing those in the kitchen; we mostly finished the front hall entry; and Jeremy created a website (which I am envious of!).  Hmm... is that it? I'm sure there must be something I'm forgetting...

So, we have been up to a lot! Unfortunately, our new year has not been without trouble. My g-pa died in mid-January. I should do a post about him - he was a great man. A week later someone turned into Jeremy on the road, knocking off the sideview mirrow and crunching up the car a bit. The next day I came down with an unpleasant case of pleurisy (which I do not care to ever repeat again). Last week someone backed into our garage, damaging the siding (they did come back and fix it, yay!). And just yesterday, the day we were due to pick up our repaired car at the shop, someone ran into and scraped up our rental car!   When it rains, it pours.

My hope is to get some blog posts up about many of the positive/productive things I mentioned, before I fall so far behind that I just give up! Jeremy is gearing up for mushroom season - his first batch of spawn arrived yesterday, and he picks up his first batch of logs next week. The weather will get warmer, visions of gardening will take over, and I'm sure there will be lots to share!  (Hopefully I'll get organized and have time to share it!)

3 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Sorry to hear of your Grandfather passing. But I am glad to see your back with us. And a post on making that root cellar a walk in cooler would be appreciated :)

Aimee said...

I know - that's probably one of the most exciting things that has happened around here. =)

Ashley W said...

Yay, you are posting again! I look forward to hearing all about your adventures.