Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Ticker tape owl

I have a sewing blog for this type of thing now, but I'm lazy, so I'm posting here instead.

An online sewing friend recently said something about making a "ticker tape quilt." I had no idea what she was talking about.  There was a picture and a link so I followed and went down that rabbit hole. Wow!  There are some really cool ticker tape quilts out there! And what a great way to use up the loads of scraps I have. I wrote down some instructions and stashed them away, another item on my long "things I want to do someday" list.

And then a couple days later I had some free time and didn't feel like spending it cleaning/organizing the basement or the garage, so I clipped out some scraps and made this:


It's not sewed down yet, so hopefully it will look as good when done.  It seems the common way to do ticker tape is to use a straight stitch and sew in 1/4 inch from the edge on each scrap. Then as the quilt is used and washed the fabric edges fray a bit making the quilt sort of soft and comfy. So they say. I'm not really into that frayed edge look. Another way is to zigzag stitch around each scrap. That's what I'm planning to do. Luckily this is about 24 inches square.  All the same, now that I've got the layout done, I'm going to find something else to do and avoid this for awhile! =)

3 comments:

ChocolateDogStudio said...

I love the Owl! You did a great job. I didn't like the frayed edge either. I sewed straight lines on one ticker tape placemat and it washes up better than the one that has the straight stitching around the edges. I hope this makes sense as I NEED another cup of coffee.

Aimee said...

Thanks ChocoDog - we'll see what it looks like after I actually SEW all the fabric down! =)

Aimee said...

Hmm, well the update is that it look great sewed down, although it took forever to do! I'm not sure if I have a good picture of it because it sold at the first show I took it to. Yay! =)