Monday, June 9, 2008

Rhubarb, and lots of it

Rhubarb seems to like it around here. A plant popped up here in the backyard before it had even finished snowing. I saw the first leaves peaking up through a pile of leaves one day and uncovered the mysterious plant - I had no idea what it was then.

Then Rhubarb started hitting the farmer's markets and co-op and I saw people out in their yards harvesting great piles of it. I didn't pay too much attention because the only I thing I knew to do with rhubarb was to make rhubarb pie - which I do not like.

Then one day I was looking through my muffin cookbook and found a recipe for rhubarb muffins. I decided to give it a try and holy cow! They are the tastiest muffins! Jeremy quickly tracked down two co-workers who have rhubarb in abundance. We visited one co-worker yesterday. He grabbed a sharp knife from the kitchen and lead us out to the backyard where the rhubarb was healthy and strong and taking over everything. We harvested a lot of rhubarb - about 7 pounds (minus all the leaves).





Chopping up the rhubarb and getting it ready to blanch and then freeze:





Now we can make a whole lot of muffins!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont you remember the rhubarb muffins from the same book that mom would make? (I remember having them in the green house the most) I cant believe you forgot they were in the muffin book. You loved them, we all did.

All that schooling has pushed other memories out of your head I think. Not that the muffins were important to remember and you didn't pay for them like you did your schooling, so I guess it is okay that you forgot.

Aimee said...

Jeremy and I have discussed it and realized I really just have a bad memory for food. He can remember meals he had 20 years ago! I can't remember that well.