Friday, June 26, 2009

Secret Garden: chapter 3

Yes, the yard keeps blooming and all sorts of things have been popping up - or finally blooming anyway. The fruits are growing and ripening too - such a wonderful time of year!

After waiting for months (it seemed) our peonies finally bloomed, two big bushes of pink and one of white.





Our kitalpa tree suddenly burst into bloom last weekend. It is a sight to see.




As promised, here is a picture of our rose bush in full bloom.


One of the few flowers we purchased, but we just had to have nasturtiums!


Yet another mystery flower. This is more of a vine and I've found it curling up a fence in the back, and one in the front. Anyone know what it is?


Solomon's Seal. We've just got this one, but there are several false Solomon's Seal around too. I've seen some better ones, as far as all the bell-like flowers hanging off it. Perhaps it will be better next year.


Is this the infamous Bellflower? Or something else entirely? I'm not sure. It's probably another "weed," but I think it's lovely (even though it's growing behind our garage).


And now for the aforementioned fruits. Our raspberries have been growing and I just saw today that some are starting to look like this!


Our cherries have been growing bigger and turning red. Some of them feel like they might be ripe - I'm not sure when to pick them. Most people who come by the house pick one to try - and then pucker up like they've bitten into a lemon. These are definitely sour pie cherries!


With all this greenery come bugs and insects of all kinds, very colorful too. I've seen monarchs flying around many days now, after our milkweeds.






I think there are more chapters still to come!

9 comments:

Jeanine said...

I think the purple one looks a little familiar, could it be deadly nightshade? We have this in our backyard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_nightshade you have to be careful with it around kids because it is highly toxic. I don't know the effect on chickens, though.

Jeanine said...

Yep, that is creeping bellflower (the tall purple one) sorry I don't know how to embed the link here... butI will post it anyway
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.stpaulrealestateblog.com/min/images/2008/07/06/creeping_bell_flower.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.stpaulrealestateblog.com/min/purple/&usg=__YpbDdXMJXBe9Zv74ZasVSwED-RU=&h=490&w=500&sz=58&hl=en&start=20&sig2=O17rzkXV8MUJQyj5h2DTzA&um=1&tbnid=TehNWjC3Z8hWzM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dweeds%2Bwith%2Bpurple%2B%2Bbell%2Bflowers%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D18%26um%3D1&ei=wPJESumyKpi4sgPv8eX1DQ

Aimee said...

Wow Jeanine, looks like you're right - bitter nightshade. We'll definitely keep that away from the chickens.

And, from that website it looks like we have wild marigold, not wild geranium. Hmmm...

Aimee said...

Wait, no, it was wild geranium. That guy labeled his picture wrong. =)

B said...

What a lovely yard.

Yes, we don't usually have sweet cherries this far north. They're just not as hardy as the sour ones.

Wonderful pictures. I hope you're enjoying your Minnesota summer. Perhaps these storms will blow us some cool air.

Kathi said...

Great pics. I wish I had a catalpa tree - my childhood home had two of them - with a swing in between for me. I used to love playing with the long seed pods - I think we pretended they were cigars most of the time!

Aimee said...

Hi Kathi - I've grown to like the Kitalpa too. I suddenly see them all over the place (now that I know what they are). They are some of the most fantastic, large trees - excellent for climbing and swings.
Unfortunately, I don't know if we can keep it. They get to be huge and we already have so many trees in the yard. I can't imagine how they're all surviving in such a tiny space. Many of the trees are only a foot or two away from each other.

Frustrated Farmer Rick said...

I think you had it right at first. That is nightshade.

Aimee said...

Yep, it's nightshade. Once I finally figured out what it looked like, it was incredible how much of it I found! I hope I got rid of it all because we really want to let the girls out of the chicken coop this year.