Thursday, January 28, 2010

Freezer challenge: strawberries

We have a lot of strawberries in our freezer. From 2008! We didn't get through them in 2009 (we didn't even freeze a new batch) and we're still eating them. In fact, our freezer kind of smells like strawberries.

I find that strawberries are better fresh, not frozen, and I don't really like them in most baked dishes. They just turn into giant, wet, slimy, blobs inside muffins or scones.

But, they make excellent and very tasty smoothies.



Jeremy makes our strawberry smoothies with strawberries, heavy cream, vanilla, maple syrup, and one egg (from our chickens of course). He kind of throws things in and blends until the consistency is right - so I don't have much of a recipe.

Mmmmm, tasty!

2 comments:

Anna Dunford said...

smoothies are the way to go, however I find if I whizz them up with the liquid of muffin mixture I avoid that icky slimy effect =)It makes the muffins pink too!

It works for other frozen soft fruit too.

Aimee said...

That's a good idea. Maybe I have done that? I can't remember. I'll have to keep an eye out for a good recipe and give this a try. Although...the smoothies are pretty good! =)