Friday, January 1, 2010

New year, new title, new look!

Welcome to the newly renamed blog: Adventures in Urban Homesteading. (Sadly, Little Homestead in the City was taken!) I’ve been meaning to re-title this blog for some time now. I had the perfect idea for the new blog photo and making the change depended on getting that photo taken. But… 6 or 8 months later, I just don’t think I’ll ever get that photo taken!

So I dug through the photo archives and came up with this collection of photos instead.

Why the change, you ask? Well, it just makes more sense. This blog hasn’t been about culture shock for a long time. There isn’t much more to say about how different it is here in the Midwest, compared to the Northwest. Even if there was, I’d rather not dwell on it.

This blog has been more about cooking, preserving, sewing, keeping chickens, building root cellars, and of course building our own little homestead.

We really are just getting started, just exploring the tip of the iceberg of urban homesteading and urban farming.

In the future (this year, next year, 10 years from now, who knows) we have lots of ideas and plans:
  • Jeremy wants to get goats – but first we have to convince the city to allow hoofed animals. Then we can make goat butter and goat cheese and have goat milk (for Jeremy to drink and me to use in recipes).
  • Jeremy wants to get bees and make honey and beeswax candles.
  • We are thinking about raising rabbits.
  • Jeremy thinks a pig would be cool too, but I’m not so sure about that!
Other things we want to experiment with making:
  • Chapstick
  • Laundry soap
  • Bar soap
  • Hard apple cider
  • Wooden toys
  • Crates from the lathe we pulled out of the upstairs
  • and more!
I have plans for more quilts and more sewing projects (but Jeremy says I have to get our quilt done first!). We hope to finish the upstairs rooms and build a root cellar. Jeremy has started planning the garden for this year. We are making plans for fruit tree additions to the yard, more flowers, and converting the garage to a year-round mushroom growing building. And hopefully somewhere in there one of us will get a job!

Thank you to all my loyal readers – lurkers and commenters alike. May this be an exciting and fulfilling New Year for you, as I hope it will be for us. Happy New Year!

(And no, I'm not going to change the url - sorry for the confusion, but I really don't want to start a whole different blog!)

4 comments:

Adrian said...

Happy New Year, Aimee. I look forward to following you and your urban adventures.

Jed Carosaari said...

I like the new look.

Aimee said...

Thanks. I like the new look too. =)

B said...

I've been wondering if you would ever change...if we've become less foreign to you. ;)

It looks nice and I look forward to reading your adventures.