Thursday, April 29, 2010

The dark side...of the terrace

Okay, so it's not really the dark side because it's the south side. But it's the hidden side because it's behind the arbor vitaes and it's on the outside edge of our yard. Our neighbors are a bit concerned about the major positive slope coming into their yard from our yard so we had to do something.



I dug these old boards out of the garage - they were the old boards on the original roof.


I nailed on some leftover lathe to keep the boards together.


I had dug out the dirt from the fence and put the wood in there.


Then I filled the dirt back in (including a couple plants I had had to dig up). Now the giant hill can slope down to this and water won't pour into the neighbors yard.



And here's the rest of it done. I guess it's kind of hard to tell with all the arbor vitae in the way, but there will probably be other pictures of it later.



The fence juts in to our yard like that because there used to be an enormous (enormous!) tree right there. Apparently it's branches touched the roof on our house - which would make it just enormous! It had to go maybe 15 or 20 years ago. Most of the wood from the trunk left behind is rotted away. I ran into a lot of that while digging down to the bottom of the fence.

2 comments:

Karin McAdams said...

That was an ingenious solution!

Aimee said...

Thanks, I thought of it myself. =)