Friday, March 26, 2010

Kansas City Zoo

And now, a few pictures from our trip to Kansas City. Okay - actually a lot of pictures, especially when it comes to the zoo. I know zoos have nothing to do with homesteading, but there are goats...so...it counts.

Baby llama!! Is he not the cutest thing you've ever seen!?



This would be the llama mama:



Snack time for the baby:



I'm sharing less than half the photos I took of these adorable llamas, so be grateful!



Across the path were these Fallow Deer. There were little food dispensers so for a quarter you could get the deer to come over and eat out of your hand. They were so adorable!



The meerkats were in an indoor building. I can't remember seeing meerkats at a zoo before. They are so cute! This rather chubby one was relaxing in the sun in the window.



In fact, they really liked hanging out in the window and staring outside.





If they weren't in the window, they were sunbathing in the dirt...



...or anywhere else they could get a good shaft of light.



On the other side of the building were the lemurs. I think there were five or six in this tight bundle.



Downstairs were a dozen or so spider monkeys - crazy, daredevil, leaping things. This one kept ending up on a branch a couple feet away from the window and then he would fall forward to rest his front hands (paws?) on the glass. They were very curios (and adorable, yes).



Going back outside we discovered the goats!



The goat pen had one of these food stations as well. And those goats were trained so well to the sound of a quarter dropping in the slot. Pavlov's goats.



The quarter drops and they both gallop over, climb the fence, and start fighting for who is going to get the few tasty morsels.





At the end of our tour of the zoo, we came upon an area where there were lots of kangaroos wandering around, not in a pen.



It reminded me very much of when I was in Australia and there were kangaroos everywhere. Of course, it was very weird to see kangaroos and snow, together in the same place.



Apparently the boy kangaroo had to be penned up because he was challenging everyone who came into this area of the zoo. I guess he thought people were encroaching on his property or his harem of lady kangaroos. So he's off on his own and has lady visitors from time to time.

I somehow end up going to zoos almost every time I travel. This was one of my favorite zoos. It reminded me a little of the Portland Zoo which I haven't been to in ages. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Portland...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great KC Zoo pictures. I love that zoo -- one of my all-time favorites.

Allen Nyhuis, Coauthor: America's Best Zoos

Aimee said...

Thanks Allen. The animals were certainly very photogenic while we were visiting!