Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sprouts

These are about the only fresh greens we get throughout the winter. They are quick and easy to grow. I think next year we'll experiment with different sprouts and growing them in different ways.

I think it's a tablespoon or two of seeds (alfalfa I think). Put them in the jar with the mesh top (which we bought at the co-op) rinse them then soak them for about 6 hours. Dump out the water and lay the jar on it's side. I guess you could just leave it upright - I'm not sure why we lay it down.
Anyway, rinse it out every morning and night and in a few days you'll have a jar bursting with sprouts!

5 comments:

Jessica (your sister) said...

do you remember the plastic tray thing we had when we where little where we grew sprouts? Never heard of doing it in a jar. I wonder if mom still has that tray thing...

Aimee said...

Yeah, it was maybe 12 or more inches in diameter and short with lots of holes in the bottom. I remember it rattling around the house a lot - not sure if I remember us using it very often. =) I think we also had a chia pet, didn't we?

Dwelf the senior raincoat said...

You can sprout lots of things besides alfalfa.
Broccoli sprouts are better than broccoli itself. Finding seeds though could be a problem.

http://www.isga-sprouts.org/nutritio.htm

Coconut sprouts are also quite nutritious, but finding a jar big enough is difficult.

Arika said...

What eco-friendly sealant do you use on your raised-bed boards? I'd be interested to know that!

I might look @ concrete blocks too that's a good idea! Thanks for all your input! :)

Jessica (your sister) said...

I remember using the sprout tray in Portland a lot but not sure about when we moved to the coast. The chia thing was a head and I only recall that in the Tillamook house, I think Aaron got it as a present. I recall you and him in the garage spreading it with that seed stuff.