Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I am amazing

Sorry, but I'm really proud of this creation. It took me a couple days to make and it was all I could think about all day long. I wanted to skip meals, skip going out with friends, skip sleeping! I just wanted to get it done! It's probably the most complicated thing I've ever made and it was a brain exercise to do it. But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.



It's a computer bag. I haven't had a laptop for almost two years and it's been mostly okay. But lately, with a lot of different projects for both of us, it's harder and harder to get on the computer. We both always need it for one thing or another: writing, research, checking email, keeping records, etc. I was trying to figure out how I could get a laptop. Jeremy was talking with his brother and it turns out he had a computer he was getting rid of. Yay! He sent the computer to me and I immediately started thinking about how I could carry it around safely.

It came in a large box with all of this foam egg carton stuff:



I decided to make a little padded carrying case using the foam stuff and whatever bits of scraps I had around.



I used a jean skirt, jean pants, and some chicken fabric. The jean skirt had these fake pockets on the back so I made one into a real pocket to store the computer cords.

Here's the inside:



There are two pockets in the yellow chicken fabric.



This is the backside of the bag, which is made from the front panel of the skirt. See the bottom of the zipper?



And the side



It zips on the sides and there are the two buttons and flaps on the top. I thought about two zippers that met in the middle at the top or one long zipper around the whole thing - but I didn't have long enough zippers for that and I couldn't wait a single moment to get started on this! I'm taking it on a trip with me at the end of the week, so we'll see how it stands up to travel. I'm pretty impressed with myself, even if it doesn't stand up to traveling. =)

4 comments:

Karin McAdams said...

It'll stand up. It's awesome!

taylorgirl6 said...

Very cool. My mom taught me how to sew when I was little. I've put at least two needles through my own thumb. It's not a pretty combination, me and needles.

Lorie said...

Wow! That is great. You should seriously sell those. Really cute.

ef said...

That is amazing